absolutely, positively, psychotically love the akon remix of “wanna be startin’ somethin'”. which, as anyone who was young back in the days when mj was black and just plain creepy (as opposed to being certified) will remember, was right up there with “smooth criminal” and “give in to me”. (and those who disagree are welcome to moonwalk off this page at a stately speed.)
all that ma-ma-say-ma-ma-sa-ing got me thinking about a whole lot of equally nostalgia tripworthy things that simply aren’t accessible anymore. in this incredibly age-revealing blog, let me tell you about:
2. the william books, especially william and the brains trust.
3. flash, the other superhero in red tights. wore wings on his ears, and featured a hypercomplicated plotline involving, among other things, time travel and a wife named iris.
4. green lantern, not to be confused with green arrow or brainiac. quite literally unforgettable: in brightest day, in blackest night/ no evil shall escape my sight/ let those who worship evil’s might/ beware my power, green lantern’s light!
5. double decker chocolate bars. and caramello. and a vaguely squishy purple bar that i think was called plus, it’s so far back that i’ve forgotten.
6. phantom cigarettes (since the reprinted comics are now available all over the countryside).
7. mandrake, or he who gestures hypnotically.
8. top hits, that collection of song lyrics that was at the very apex of every schoolgirl’s must-have list.
9. the sun magazine, for its posters. also the old sportstar.
10. top of the pops on videotape, a one-stop source of bad fashion and worse lyrics. solely responsible for introducing me to the likes of t’pau, aztec camera, and bananarama.
i’m pretty certain there are more, but this list has made me happy enough. shall continue/ complete it soon.